Friday, September 19, 2008

What have you guys been up to?!

Whew! It has been an intense past two days for me! I'm not sure if I've explained how blogging works for me, but I wanted to just let you know what it looks like in terms of my reliability. My afternoon schedule allows me three chunks of time to work on planning/blogging/checking papers/etc. These are M-F at lunch (provided there are no meetings that I have to attend and that I am not on lunch duty), M/W/F during 6th period (again, barring meetings), and T/H 7th period. For emails to be sent out to you on time (they should arrive to your inbox between 3 and 5p) I have to blog what I'm going to blog for the day by 3p. So, in a case like yesterday and today when I'm on lunch duty and have afternoon meetings until 3p... sitting down to blog becomes incredibly difficult! But, I try my best to keep to a schedule, thus insuring you get your daily update as regularly as possible. :)

With that being said, we've been working on prime factorizations, factor trees, primes and composites for the past two days.  I introduced the kids to prime factorizations and factor trees on Wednesday and yesterday they got some good practice making the trees and working with primes and composites.

Today they got a chance to finish up their work with primes, composites, and factors and we had a little bit of a fun day playing with our calculators.  The kids are fascinated with using a calculator to spell out words... so I found some work that they could do to encourage this passion!  You should have seen them jamming their fingers into those buttons on the calculator!

Some of them may have finished and I would encourage them to keep playing with those numbers.  Others may not have finished and I would love for them to keep working at it over the weekend, but I am not requiring it at all.  It works for some kids and not for others. :)  Have a great weekend!