Tuesday, September 23, 2008

REVIEW!

Today we began our Review process, a process that all of my first year math students over the years have grown to love and crave. :) Here's how it works:

First, I prepare a selection of sheets that have skill-based practice problems on them.  If you're wondering what will be on this test, check out the earlier post on that: http://firstyearmath.blogspot.com/2008/09/whats-on-first-test.html 

Next, the kids get the opportunity to complete as many problems as they would like, on the skills that they would like to work on.  Why?  Because I'm trying to teach them to take ownership over their learning.  Love GCFs?  Do tons!  Hate LCMs because you're not sure how to do them?  Hm... might be something you should REALLY work on.  See?

Finally, a few minutes before the test, I take up all of the review sheets/problems and I check them when I check their tests.  For every correct review problem they complete?  Earn a sticker.  Again, you'd be amazed at what a sticker can do!

Can they complete other problems for review?  Sure!  I'd just like them to clear it by me so I know they aren't doing something way out there, or way too hard or easy.  

So, tonight and tomorrow night they may choose to work on their review problems.  Do they have to?  Technically, no!  Thursday we will play some review games and then Friday we will test -- so Friday at 10:35 AM all Review Problems must be in.

Hope this makes sense!  I'll be making a post soon about what a "test" means in my math class and with regards to their learning in math.  I'll email you if that post gets made this evening after the automatic email goes out. :)