Thursday, November 20, 2008

Multiplying Fractions!

First I must apologize for not posting yesterday. (And not just not on-time... not at all!) So this post will cover yesterday and today.

I cannot tell you how pumped I am about these past two days in math.  This is not even to start to mention how excited your children are!  We've been multiplying fractions!  Yesterday we talked through just the basics (multiply the tops, then multiply the bottoms, then reduce if needed). 

But today?????  I revealed the great secret of pre-reducing when multiplying (or cross-canceling, as you may know it).  You should have seen them!  They were on the edge of their seats!

Tonight they have just one problem... because we ran out of time during class!  You'll see it as example 3 below.  One or two may have stayed a bit late to finish the problem, but I promised I would not reveal the answer until tomorrow morning. :)  Ah... the art of discovery and learning!